DIY house/miniature model making tools + usage skills are fully disclosed
Of course, DIY huts are also miniatures, and they require great patience and care! For obsessive-compulsive disorder, I hope that every detail should be exquisite: the boards should be aligned and the paper molds should be neat... As an amateur, in addition to the scissors and glue provided by the merchant, I also searched for more handmade DIY tools. !
If there are children participating, it is recommended to only use simple tools provided by the merchant, because the following introduction contains sharp blades!
1. Tweezers are used instead of fingers! Different styles are more flexible
The characteristic of DIY huts or miniature models is that the items are very small, especially some paper molds and parts may not be one centimeter long and wide.
If you just use your hands, the area of your fingers is too big to care about the details, and sometimes you get glue, so it is important to make full use of different styles of tweezers! Generally, the merchants are equipped with the model No. ④ in the picture below, that is, the elbow is relatively flat, and I have equipped several other models myself.
1. Pointed and flat refers to the top of it. Flat means that it has a certain flat surface and is not very sharp. Pointed means that the top is sharper. If you are not careful, you may poke your skin.
2. ③ and ⑤ are only different in the top thickness, ⑤ is matched in the nail clipper set I bought, haha.
3. Number ① is the most commonly used, and generally has three purposes:
A. It is more convenient to stack paper. Many paper molds have fold lines, but because they are too small, they will be rough just by hand. At this time, use ① to lightly scratch the crease, and then clamp it with tweezers to fold it, which is much more convenient, including when folding the inner pages of the book, it will fold more neatly and quickly. But be careful not to cut the paper too hard (this is why you can’t use number ②, the tip of the head will scratch)
B. Facilitate the pasting of details. After sticking the paper mold like the one below, you need to press it to make it stick better, but the fingers are so thick that they will definitely not be able to get in. At this time, it is very convenient to use tweezers.
C. Adjust some details. Someone asked me before why the four corners of the pillow are so good-looking, because after I turned it over and stuffed the cotton, I would poke it in to tidy up all the four corners.
4. ③, ⑤ This kind of pointed tip is more convenient to take and put some very delicate parts, for example, some small beads are not easy to clamp, just poke in with a pointed tip, and it will be done!
5. As for the straight one or the curved one is easy to use, in fact, it depends on your personal habits, like some angles, it may be easier to use an elbow, but not absolutely~
2. Use good glue and save half of the effort!
Glue is the second most important tool after tweezers! Whether it’s quick-drying or not, it’s inconvenient to adjust, etc., will affect work efficiency. Generally, two types are mainly used: white latex and alcohol glue.
1. White latex: stick wood, paper, cloth.
Generally, the white latex delivered by merchants dries slowly, and the splicing between the wood is not easy to use, and it takes a long time to wait. But the price is not expensive, and the quantity is enough, so it is recommended to use this when you need to stick paper and cloth on the wood board (especially make the wallpaper casually), and paste the paper and paper.
It is also recommended to start with a Japanese white latex: Konishi hand-made quick-drying white latex, which is the white and cyan bottles in the picture below. Remember, when you buy, you must see if there is the word "quick-drying" on it, because some of Xiaoxi's are not quick-drying.
So what are the advantages of these two small western white latexes compared to ordinary ones? Of course it's quick-drying! Sticking wood is very convenient, you don’t have to wait until your hair turns white...
Green bottles are more viscous than white bottles. Some metals and plastics are sticky to wood. You can also consider using green bottles. It is especially recommended to stick the dust cover with a green bottle! In the past, alcohol glue or U glue was used to stick the dust cover, and a lot of wire drawing was stuck on it, and it was impossible to clean it. With white latex, you can wipe off the excess with a wet wipe, which will be much cleaner!
In the end, I suggest that you just buy the green bottle directly. At first, I bought both because I hadn't used it before. It costs 29 yuan for 50g. With ordinary white latex, it can still be used to complete a medium-sized house with a little bit of use.
2. Alcohol glue: It can stick anything, I mainly use it to glue plastic and metal.
Alcohol glue or UHU glue is omnipotent, anything is fine, but the most annoying thing is the drawing, and the transparent plastic or acrylic sheet drawing will float around and cannot be cleaned.
I saw some people share the use of needles, but they can only squeeze a little bit each time, and it is troublesome to run into some larger areas. After looking for it for a long time, I found that dispensing needles of different calibers were enough! But also buy a plastic bottle that can be fitted with a dispensing needle-you can search for "plastic squeeze mud bottle" on Taobao
Dispensing needles come in different sizes. I tested it out that the outer diameter 1.6mm (transparent white) and the outer diameter 1.2mm (transparent pink) are more convenient to squeeze out, and then they can be switched at will according to the size of the part. There are 100 needles in a pack. If the needles are plugged, they can be changed without heartache! Haha.
But I also bought a long pointed needle (green 0.8mm), because sometimes I often forget to close the lid during use, and when it gets a little blocked, I use a long needle to poke and clean it~ but it works. If you do, remember to cover it at any time! Because alcohol glue is also quick-drying~
3. A good helper for paper cutting and cloth cutting!
In addition to the regular scissors, I also bought the pointed one, which is the second one in the picture above, because the corners of many paper molds are not easy to handle with ordinary scissors, and they are not neat enough when folded. Use pointed scissors to cut the small angles more completely.
The utility knife is used for cutting larger paper. It is recommended to be equipped with a steel ruler, so that the cut is more welt. The yellow one is a hob, which is mainly used for cutting fabrics, but it is a bit tasteless when it is practical. You can buy it or not. Scissors and utility knives are enough.
4. If there is copper wire/iron wire, remember to prepare pliers
Like Zhiquwu, if there are many works that use copper wire and iron wire winding, then buying pliers can save effort.
1. ①, ②, and ③ are used for styling, I bought five inches without teeth (①, ②, ③). Do not buy with teeth, it will make the copper wire uneven or even too thin will break. ① and ③ are copper wires used to make right angles, and ② are conical wires that can be used to wind some round shapes.
2. Diagonal pliers are used to cut, and nylon pliers are used to straighten copper wires. When the material package was delivered, the copper wires were crooked and twisted. With this nylon pliers RUA, the copper wires can be straightened once again, so that the works that are wound out will be much more beautiful. Taobao has found a lot of shops, and the price is cheaper in Mia.
5. Keep up with other gadgets!
1. The backing board is best equipped! It is the green board under the most tool family portrait, which can avoid scratching the table. Now there are many colors, not necessarily only green as primitive (ugly)~
2. Wet wipes/paper towels are convenient for wiping off excess glue at any time...Although I love to do handicrafts, I am always afraid that the glue gets on my hands and accidentally forgets to rub my eyes...Haha.
3. Cotton swabs/toothpicks are used to assist in pasting. Some areas are really too small. Using these two can smooth the glue better.
4. Hang tags and jams for buying clothes can be collected. When wallpapering a large area, you can use it to scrape the white latex to avoid blistering or unevenness causing pits!
to sum up
As a tool control, every time you try a new manual, you will first study the tools, but it does not mean you have to buy everything! With the exquisite skills, you may only need to equip some key tools, many of which I bought for experimentation!
And what I bought were all material kits prepared by the merchants. Compared with the truly original masters, I might be equipped with more advanced tools, such as chainsaws, drilling, etc.
I have more tools and I hope to make more elaborate. The process seems a bit painful, but every time I make a finished product, I am satisfied. This means that the happiness of creation is greater than pure consumption, and I only left two or three for myself. Others will be given away every time they are done, but the quality must be guaranteed. (Is it great to have friends like me!)
Finally, I attached a small work table of mine. Under the warm light, I was immersed in making these exquisite little pieces. It seemed that I also felt that those craftsmen endured loneliness day after day, year after year, just for one. The spirit of craftsman who works hard for a treasure in the world.
Finished, do you like it?
Previous: Customized purchase plan for DIY house